View Single Post
      04-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #30
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

The original/classic James Bond is a hero addicted to/compensating with/utilizing luxury/women/drinks. Both sides taken to (ridiculous) extreme to make a "man's dream". Risking own life to fight villains with powers beyond realistic and consuming appropriate compensation (beyond realistic as well ) for the success. In balance. (I find George Lazenby the most fit and convincing, by the way.)

So, after golden eras of Connery and Moore it went stumbling. Starting with Timothy Dalton (being a melodramatic actor indeed but still tough compared to his wet successors) they added some emotional connections to lead it down. Say, loving a woman is a (common ) way to disaster while just consuming a woman is a (usual ) successful approach and that was James Bond's winning one. (My favourite Bond girl is Jill St. John whose character played her own game incidentally.)

Pierce Brosnan was just not man enough to play a hero. Like (a few to mention) Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis he was an apparent boob licker who could only be convincing sucking tits which wouldn't make that a heroic endeavour still. And, for whatever reason, they chose Daniel Craig to focus on the emotional shit putting the heroic business aside. I only saw two of Craig's, I guess (there are some more yet I presume) and it was most annoying to watch those feelings of no interest at all. That simply isn't James Bond any more. Too different a "concept".
Appreciate 0