View Single Post
      03-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
To me that's not even a question if the i4 is anything like the current G20/G22.
There's no mystery about the i4 at all in that regard. We know for sure that it is an electric G26, which is the hatchback version of the G20. It will be a fine product in 2022 that will no doubt make a splash and move the ball for BMW.

At the same time, it has merely a tangential relationship to the future state of BMW and industry that stein_325i and I are talking about. The announcement of the Neue Klasse takes a step toward acknowledging what he, I, and others have been vocal about - CLAR and FAAR are not the right toolset to compete against dedicated electric platforms coming from Mercedes, VAG, Ford, Hyundai Motor, GM, Toyota/Subaru, Stellantis (yes, even Stellantis). The first examples of vehicles built on these architectures are just hitting the market now, while others have just made their debut (or have imminent debuts) and are coming later this year of next. It will be some time until the industry has a chance to weigh in and process the tangible advantages these products have over those based on legacy designs / processes / parts / philosophies.

Will Neue Klasse with its provisions for combustion powertrains and other legacy vehicle sensibilities be enough for BMW to compete? We don't know yet.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00