TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
There's little doubt that the i4 and other upcoming electric BMW models will deliver the range and features people want. The question is, will they face scrutiny for not taking better advantage of packaging and design constraints that are removed once you no longer need to support the ICE drivetrain? In the near term, this may not be as important. But by 2025 when most consumers will have had some exposure to the new crop of EVs designed as such from the outset, the discrepancies between the two strategies may begin to present doubts.
To me that's not even a question if the i4 is anything like the current G20/G22. We can all sit here and question why BMW didn't do this or do that. Ultimately what is the end-product? What are you looking for in a BMW EV? We know that the CLAR platform is compromised but if the i4 turns out to be similar to the G20/G22 but as a EV, are we going to sit here and wonder if BMW could have got more than 400km range if they were on a dedicated EV platform? How much EV is enough EV?

Neither Mercedes or Audi have come out with anything reasonable. Mercedes scrapped the EQC for the US, Audi releases the e-tron GT which is unattainable for the majority, is marketed as such and doesn't resonate with most.

We don't know how the i4 is going to play out but it's going to be the number 1 indicator on what BMW should end up doing.
Appreciate 0