TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Sounds like BMW is doubling down on shared platforms with the Neue Klasse while other companies and their closest competitors are all going the route of dedicated platforms for EV's. Of course the largest reason for this is cost savings, but I wonder if this will hurt the products. Typically shared platforms present larger compromises for EV's. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.
Well they either do this or have everyone on here complain about an electric M car or why BMW doesn't have straight-six engines. BMW goes one way, people complain. BMW goes the other way, people complain. Regardless of what they do, it's not going to be perfect - they're trying to satisfy as many people as they can.

The most telling sign will be what the i4 brings. If is provides real world range of around 400km and all the stuff you would usually find in a BMW while maintaining a reasonable MSRP, this dual ICE/EV strategy will work. If not, then they might as well go full EV sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0