04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojungoon View Post
WOW great read! Thanks for the information!

Would you be able to give some specific examples of what you would eat during Monday to Friday?
I've filled my fridge up with Porkchops, Boneless Chicken Thighs, 3 dozen egg carts, Ground Beef, Steaks, Cheese and Bacon.

Eggs should be one of your most flexible ingredients. Tbh, I have about 4-5 whole eggs almost every other day (for ex. 3 whole large eggs in a cheese omelette + 3 Bacon strips for breakfast) and it DOESN'T bother me. I'll address the cholesterol part of the Keto diet later on in this post, because I know eggs are associated with higher Cholesterol.

But for any other meal (and aim for 4+ meals a day to NOT put your body into starvation mode) you could have Porkchops + mushrooms with melted cheese (cheese will get you the extra bit of protein you need to meet your 1g/Lean Body Mass weight a day, and mushrooms are so low in carbs you can have as much as you want. I had 165 grams of mushrooms in one of my porkchop dishes the other night, and 165 grams equates to only 2 grams of carbs in white mushrooms), Grilled Chicken, etc etc. You can basically eat all of the meaty dishes you can't have on regular days, like Steak and Cheese!

DO NOTE: You need a HIGH fat intake on this CKD diet, as mentioned above, because in Ketosis you body burns FAT for fuel. Your first 3 days to a week of eating only high protein and high fat will induce your body to convert over to ketogenic-enzymes and NOT carb-enzymes. Keep the Fat intake high (eggs and cheese have a lot) so that your body gets Protein and Fat and will have to break down your fat storages (which came from carbs) down to get the necessary sugars it needs. Of Course, if you're a really fat individual I imagine you could lower your fat-intake a bit since you have so many calories of fat on you as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown09 View Post
I lost 18 lbs. of fat with this. BUT it is a temp. summer cutting diet not a year-round. You should only "diet" to cut like a vacation or something. After that go back to eating your salads and fruits again. It is not a "healthy" diet, you eat bacon, cheese, fats, etc.

For breakfast I would eat 5 or 6 egg whites and 1 whole egg with cheddar cheese. Drink some water or Green Tea

Then 3 hours later I would eat chicken (from a can, Costco) mixed with low-fat Mayo and cheddar cheese. Would also eat a few jalapenos with it. And a apple.

Then 3 hours later I would eat a can of tuna mixed with Mayo and 7 wheat-thin's. I would scoop out the Tuna with the Wheat thins.

Then would eat some more chicken mixed with a salad. Lettuce, spinach, cheese, red bell peppers, red onion, low-fat Ranch dressing with chicken on top/mixed in.

For snacks I would bring moz. string cheese and pepperonis and a can of mixed nut's. And I carried around a large water bottle and drank it all before noon and filled it up again and made sure it was empty before leaving work.

Again, this is a FAD diet; not healthy for long-term but can help you "jump start" fat-loss.
1. You're not supposed to have Caffeine or Tea on this diet because that hinders fat loss.

2. You're supposed to keep your carb-intake under 30 grams a day, or very close to 0 grams. An apple will give you about half of 30 grams.

3. You're supposed to avoid carbs AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. No Wheat Thins.

4. You ate all those vegetables? That's quite a bit of carbs in a salad. Plus you had RANCH. I don't care if you say it's low-fat, you're supposed to have a HIGH fat intake on the CKD Diet. Ranch has A LOT of carbs, as most sauces do (like ketchup).

My Guess is you were probably never on the CKD diet. This is because you were eating a low-fat diet with carbs present. You also didn't have any carb-up weekends. Did you even read the original post?

Quote:
We are discussing a KETO diet. You have a point about moderation in all thing's but that is another discussion entirely. If you would like to start a thread about moderation please do. This thread is about the science of putting your body in keto. If you have experience in this please contribute. Otherwise..
You probably weren't even in the Keto diet to begin with. Not a CKD one at that. Atkins maybe? But even then, no salads.

Quote:
I recommended a balanced meal; something the KETO diet lack's. As for fat's you can add some nut's and avacado's on the salads.

Eating too much fat is not good. Balance is the key. And cheese and bacon is not healthy fat's. So while I can recommend a KETO diet to lose some belly fat it is not a good long-term diet.
It's definitely a hard diet to follow ONLY because it eliminates 99% of all the places you can eat out on the days you're not carbing up. But on the diet I feel more energetic, more alert, etc. I also don't feel sluggish and bloated after eating large protein meals as I used to with heavy carb meals.

Cholesterol: Apparently, since your body is in Ketosis and producing a lot ketogenic-enzymes, the cholesterol levels go waaaaaay down. This is most likely due to an enzyme, Glucagon, being present in high-protein, high-fat, and low-carb diets. Glucagon breaks down all glycogen reserves in the body for fuel usage.

In the normal high-carb diets, Insulin is the predominant enzyme and induces the body's cells to uptake glucose from the blood and store them. Now, if you're to eat a Ketogenic diet WHILE having carb intake, this could be VERY bad for your body and your cholesterol would shoot through the roof. But because in ketosis certain enzymes are present, it's been shown scientifically (and you can google to find your own results) that cholesterol LOWERS significantly in CKD subjects, cardiovascular disease too.