View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #36
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
not a fan of most of these modern engines with laggy turbos and redlines below 8k for a weekend ride. its fine for a daily use since you can be in the meaty part of the powerband while cruising and don't need to shift. but when i'm hitting corners i don't want to wait for a turbo to spool up.

that's why my m3 will continue to be daily, and why im skipping over the 488/720/570s in favor of a 9000rpm gt3 for my weekend ride right now.
If you are getting lag on a turbo that provides full torque at 1500...you are doing it wrong.

What you are most likely experiencing is the transmission shifting down 2 or more gears in response to you flooring the throttle at low RPM. If it's a DCT, it probably only has the next lowest gear selected and whether it's a slush box or DCT, it's going to get a little confused and have to shift down a few gears, unless you were already running relatively high RPM, which is unlikely unless you are driving around in manual paddle-shift mode all the time. If you were say at 2000 and held it in gear, it's going to pull just fine, not as good as at 4K with all the HP to back it up, but it's still going to make massive torque and pull out of a hole. That and the throttle mapping due to the mode you are in. People thinking that turbos tapping directly off of the block with small twin-scrolls are "lagging" like old 930 where you had to get up to 4K before the thing would make any torque are mistaken.