andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
OK, dinner at The Keg today,
it irks the frack outta me when they run out of Prime Rib, that stuff is the dogs nads.

So I opted for a 6oz FM, mid rear

and BOY was I surprised, really flavorful, they really didn't need to season it, served with a Bernaise, but I also wanted a plain jus.

Had with Garlic Mash and seasonal, wow yummy, I'm now wondering if it beats a beaut cut of slow roasted prime rib

DD had a striploin and by comparison, had a lot more seasoning and was also chewier and I didnt thing it was as flavorfull

Anyone does FM at home, I'd be scared to mess it up

It's very easy.

The day before you plan to cook it, dry it off and then a coat of olive oil and salt and pepper. Cover it and let it sit in the fridge until about two hours before you are ready to cook it.

Once you are ready to start the cooking process take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp. Getting it up to temp is important as it allows the meat to cook more evenly.

Bring the oven up to 500 degrees. Multiply the weight of the meat by five and then round up to an even amount. For example, if the prime rib weight 6.3 pounds then that is 31.5 and rounded up is 32. You'll want to cook the prime rib at 500 degrees for 32 minutes. At 32 minutes turn the oven off and let it sit in the oven for 2 hours to finish. You should not open the over or it will mess up the timing. If you want to, put a thermometer in the meat and take it out when you get to the temp that you prefer..... but the two hour thing works pretty well.

Ok.... I reread what I quoted and then realized you asked about FM not prime rib. I'm just gonna leave the first response as someone may want to give it a try.

FM is even easier.

Again, take your steaks out of the fridge and let them come up to temp. Cover with salt and pepper as needed. BTW, you should use Kosher salt, not table salt.

Cook - Fire up the oven to 225 degrees. Place a thermometer in the center of the steak and cook until the temp reaches 125-130 degrees. (I'm cooking for medium - medium rare). Pull the steak out of the oven and cover and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. The temp will continue to rise as it rests.

Sear - Just before you pull the steak out of the oven put a cast iron skillet on the stove and get it hot. Put a pat, or two, of butter in the skillet and then add the steaks and let them cook about 90 seconds or up to 120 seconds per surface. If it's a thick piece of meat you can sear the sides as well as the top and bottom. If you have some, throw fresh rosemary and thyme in with the butter as you start the sear.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3511.50
nazali1318.50