07-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #52
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I think the larger problem is that disenfranchised people believe that more successful/comfortable people have had everything handed to them. Luck was on their side. It makes them angry that they too have worked hard all their lives, but struggled every day and never get ahead.

We are middle class too. We always had decent income, but we also saved and strategized all our lives, pinched a lot of pennies. But we never had a desire for expensive or fancy things. Mostly we have been focused on our kids. No one gave us anything. We lived within our means and made good choices.

Now we are retired, and have more money than we know what to do with. This is after paying for both kids’ college and losing $150k+ on a house in Iowa, where we lived for four years. AND spending close to $200k on the house we live in, which we have owned for 20+ years as a second home.

I treated myself to a $12,000 gorgeous blue/green quartzite countertop for our tiny kitchen. Just because I could.

All that thriftiness paid off big time. I bought this BMW - my first fancy luxury car ever- just because I wanted to. My husband is all thrilled about the huge inheritance our kids will get some day.

Me, not so much. If I want something, I’m buying it. Not to the point of irresponsibility, but I’m getting in the habit of not holding back, as I did all my life. I’m retired and enjoying every minute of it.

We live in a rural area and most of the people here don’t have two nickels to rub together. We are very wealthy in comparison. They sacrificed their future to eek out a living in a small town, and they had every right to make that decision. But I’m sure they can’t help but feel resentful. And in some cases, hatred.

Yes, you and I are brothers from another mother, maybe. Limited tolerance for the stupid and the political shenanigans.

Just try not to let it get to you, and affect your ability to treat people well and be a good role model. Don’t stoop to other people’s level. It only hurts you in the long run.
Very well said. I too grew up and live in a very similar rural environment as you.
As far as politics go, people dont even realize that its all a distraction and that the Forbes list of richest people is a JOKE!! the richest ppl run everything and they are not in that stupid magazine bc they demand anonymity and they laugh at Bezos and Gates net worth.

Ive been an old soul my whole life im 36 and majored in philosophy. And i tell you, i dont like knowing so much..
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00