View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
The ties of these old chronographs and auto racing are strong. Back Heuer made a deal with Joe Siffert back in the day....the Heuer Autavia 1163 is the white whale....my dad has one. Beautiful watch. Siffert wore that model so it is the "Siffert" Autavia.

Siffert used to bring his big watch box to races and between heats/laps he'd sell to other drivers and teams.

Heuer was then used to time laps...became big in the race scene. Then of course they had the Heuer (these are all "pre Tag) Monaco which Steve McQueen wore in the classic race movie, Le Mans. That became an instant classic and now originals fetch huge $$$$.

A great Heuer starter is the Carrera. Classic. They made "re edition" Heuer carrera watches on the 90's that were identical....those see on eBay and average $2000-$3000.

I just got into this. My dad is a fanatic and has been schooling me. I love the ties to the best years of auto racing.

Fun hobby.