04-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I'm not trying to offend you but your view of marriage is why 1 in 2 end in divorce.

It is not a contract, it was not created by the government. Marriage has deep religious roots no matter what your views may be. It is symbolic of a man leaving his parents to be with his wife. To be one... It was so that man will be stronger by having a woman by his side.

Problem is, most people don't respect the idea of marriage and like you said, see it as a contract. A contract that can be broken with lawyers and enough money. By choosing the right woman and not jumping the gun and getting married in vegas after a one night stand, you should find yourself with someone that brings out the best in you and makes you a better person.
Not trying to offend you but this is the fairy tell view point of marriage. I was married for 21 years and we were together 4 years before that so that was 25 a quarter century. She up and left for someone younger when I got sick in 2001, and guess what she took 50 percent of everything, got alimony no child support as the kids lived with me because her new interest "creeped" them out(he was 16 years her junior she 4 mine). I got nothing no child support as I was the primary wage earner. I got royally screwed financially until 2 years later when she remarried(dumb ass had lifetime alimony) and then got divorced again 14 months later because he bailed as they took a $2500 month income cut.
Now to cut out the bitterness of reality yes you get married for the reasons you stated but understand and understand well it is a contract, either party can leave and break the contract and demand half the assets regardless(at least in Cali) and if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer you could be on the hook for a long term contractual obligation stipulated by the state which you cannot break easily unlike marriage. Currently I am in the 11th year of a relationship with a wonderful person, she has her moments but so do I, marriage is not an option for either of us, we're older no children will result(mine are now young adults 23 and 27) and we both have experienced the bad sides of marriage. Will we ever get married, maybe once retired and it is financially an advantage or the responsibility of caring for each other is buoyed by it. I know lots, dozens of people same situation in life same experiences both sexes. Marriage is often demanded by social, cultural or religious reasons and as those demands change and navigate life so should the demand for that. One of the happiest couples I know are not legally married(yes by common law since they've been together over 25 years), they have separate finances, own a home together each contributing exactly 50% of all outlays and have raised 3 of the most well adjusted people I know. Case can be made that is the ideal situation IMO.
Appreciate 0