08-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #665
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
It might be about bragging rights, I think it may also have something to do with making your car unique. A common view held about the C8 seems to be that given the performance vs price, ie bang for the buck there are going to be a lot of these things around. The downside I see to them is they will be somewhat common to see as opposed to the cars that they would compete with in performance.

When you think about the base model and it's specs/performance numbers compared to what was available only a few short years ago it's lightyears ahead of what we had available. The thing is in hypercar territory of a few years ago, and frankly well beyond what 99% of the population could possibly drive to the limit. I have a friend who has a very nicely kitted out C7, he has had the same driver training that I have had and he has said it's way more car than he can drive to the limit.

Interesting times really. Would I have one, maybe. I hope to get a look at one and maybe a test drive, but one of the things I love about my 993 is it's uniqueness. There are lots of cars that are way faster, but I could likely keep with them if pressed but that's just not my thing anymore. A bit of time on a twisty road is good for me.

My current C6 is more capable than what I can do with it . In fact, my old C6Z was way more car than I could handle stock, and it's only down slightly on power vs. The model I have now.

It will be interesting how the new C8 drives. Don't get me wrong, my current C6 gives me a sense if security when pushing the envelope, but they have always been known to bite you if you have all the "nannies" turned off.

That's one thing I like about my daily (128i)....its one car I can push to its limits, but we are talking 200+ less HP too. Nevertheless, it's a fun little car as I've always been a straight line racer, and this little car is expanding my horizons!