View Single Post
      04-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #25
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

IMS bearing issue were only 996 variants, no Cayman's had the same nomenclature block wise that caused those issues. 997.2 are the real deal, reliable and quite nice vehicles. Cayman S variant are nice as well but quite difficult to DIY with out a lift(my kids a tech). Personally if it were me and I could afford and want a Pcar it would be 2010-2011 997.2 with a manual. 911 variants will not have manuals soon and that car will appreciate in value while offering a very satisfying driving experience.

If you buy used get a good PPI done by a reputable shop, there's an over rev count as an indication of being tracked have that and compression and leakdown checks done. You'll never regret paying $500 plus for the PPI if you never experience any issues. I have several friend who DD their's and love them.

As far as 3rd party warranties go, most can be plan rubbish but there can be decent ones found(not cheap) and are backed by solid financial institutions. Beware and research it before buying, cover the electronics too as that's where the cost will get you. If I remember correctly my kid had one in with a bad cluster and related control unit and the owner paid something like 3K out of pocket at the dealership, now on a 60K used car that's not that much but still stings.
Appreciate 1