View Single Post
      10-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #44
Caster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
From my opinion, as a 17 and a 1/2 year old, I'll tell you that it all matters on the PERSON driving. It doesn't matter if you have a Civic or an M3. It all boils down to the person driving, although what car your child may drive, may make you feel more comfortable allowing them to drive, and I think thats where the confusion is, do you believe that your son or daughter would be responisble enough to drive a fast car? But then the next question arises, if yes and they would want to drive fast or slaloms, would you be willing to allow them to go to the track rather then them going insane on the street?

In my high school, the cars range from the oldest things that are still on this earth to M3s, and I know most of the people in the lot and how they drive, and it doesn't matter if they drive their mom's old Lexus or if they're parents bought them a brand new 325i, it all depends on the person. Any car can go fast (well, most of them) just how fast can they go fast is the better question, but once they've hit higher speeds, 60s in 35s, 80s in 65s, or even worse 100(+) in 65s, it honestly doesn't matter what car they're driving, that person chose to do what they want to do and that was to drive fast.

I understand all the stereotypes that people give teenagers, especially when driving expensive cars or fast cars, but the stereotype doesn't apply to everyone. Unfortunately for me, I had to learn the hard way, my brother passed away in a fatal motorcycle accident, because some idiot decided to take matters into his own hands, by driving FOR work, with a vehicle (that wasn't his) full of people. If this idiot wasn't driving on his suspended license in the first place, my life would of been MUCH easier the last 1 1/2 years, but some people just don't understand what they should and shouldn't do. I'm 17 and I drive a 325i, theres people on this forum, much older then me, but yet theres some the same age as me, how they drive, I don't have a clue, but because I'm 17 people would say that I don't deserve a car like the one I have, I find completely false. When I originally recieved my license, I was suppose to take my brother's Chrylser Crossfire. The car isn't extremely fast, but it is FAST and its small, my parents didn't feel comfortable with me driving the car regardless of how responsible they believed I was, from everything my family learned, its that it doesn't have to be you, it could be the other person, and my parents are/were not willing to take that risk, and the E90 being one of the safest cars in its class, my parents had agreed on buying it for me.

I could go on and on and give you many examples of teenagers driving recklessly, I mean even a member on this forum that I know, was a complete wreckless driver. I have friends who drive CAMRYs that run stop signs and drive on backstreets (if anyone lives around Woodland Hills, Wells DR, is a popular backstreet) at 60+MPH. So really I believe it all comes down to, how responsible you believe your son/child is and what you feel safe in them driving. I'm not saying just because theyre responsible buy them something super expensive, but I believe that its a better investment to lease or finance a newer car such as a Civic, rather then buying them some old junk, that isn't as safe as new technology in cars now a days.

I'm not trying to give parenting advice only trying to offer an opinion, parenting is no way the same for any father, mother, or parents, and what it all boils down to, is the parents and what they decide to do. Follow your heart?

Sorry about the long read...

Appreciate 0