View Single Post
      05-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #438
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Alright - so a dilemma and could use some recommendations.

Backstory. We have one cat. A purebred Norwegian Forest Cat we paid well over a thousand dollars for. He doesn't get to go outside, other than occasionally on the back screened in porch. Recently, a wild cat has been coming by. They seem to chat to each other and generally really get along from across the screen. Sniff, rub, etc.

This cat has two notable attributes. First, it is one of the sweetest cats I've ever come across. Started feeding it and after a few times it took right to me and eventually my daughter. Will climb right up on your lap, flop over and go to sleep. So super cool cat. Second, it is the mangiest cat I've ever seen. Both ears are banged up and droop over, patches of fur missing, multiple ticks, one eye doesn't open.

So, we've decided that we might like to keep this cat but are unsure of how to sort it out. The plan would be to take it to our vet and get it looked over, all the shots done, flea and tick meds and so forth. Cost will be around $200. Would need to be fixed as well, so another $100 or so for that. I don't really want to spend the money if the cat and our cat won't get along, but I don't want the two cats interacting until I can confirm no feline AIDS, etc. So I figure I'm gonna be out $200 regardless and I will either have another cat or will have done a good deed for a wild cat. My daughter has already named it.

So - the dilemma - how to get this thing to the vet. It only really comes by in the evening and obviously the vet isn't open then. It is pretty docile so I don't think I would have a problem getting it into a cat carrier to take to the vet, but I don't want to leave it in the carrier overnight to take in the morning. My plan was to just bring it into the back porch overnight and then put it in the carrier in the morning, but the wife is adamant about that being a no-go, as she is worried it will tear up the screen to get out in the middle of the night.

So - that being said - how the heck do I get this cat to come by in the morning, specifically on a Saturday - to get it in the cat carrier, or how to I 'store' the cat over night to take it to the vet in the morning.

Ideas?
The only thing I would recommend would be leaving it in the carrier over night. I agree with your wife on the destruction of said screen not to mention whatever it critters it may bring in to the screened in porch as well.

The overnight stay in the carrier may not be ideal, but it is only temporary and for one evening. Worth it in my opinion.

Btw, that's a migty big heart you have there. I'm currently dealing with the same situation.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
Run Silent15127.00