05-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
You suggest relative fuel prices explain where the Corvette and M3 makes sales?
The last two generations of M3 were classified as "gas-guzzlers" in the USA. How many Corvettes? Not the 7.0 liter Z06. For the last several years Corvettes have generally been faster around tracks too, even before the Stingray.

I don't say this to suggest the Corvette is a better car or even a better performance car. I've owned both a recent M3 and Corvette. Visibility out of Corvettes is poor and has only gotten worse with the Stingray. If you enjoy driving one on a small winding road, you're in the minority. Many different and often conflicting factors go into making a car what it is. And BMW has explained several decisions about the new M3/M4 in terms of solutions to improving emissions and fuel economy. But GM did as well with their move to direct injection and cylinder deactivation.

While I'm not sold on a number of other aspects, I submit the Corvette's recent and current performance-to-fuel-economy ratio is world class.

I eagerly await US EPA numbers for the new M3/M4, and will be pleased if they match the Corvette's numbers. Regards
I suggest US emission rules are not as strict as EU, explaining the downsizing of engine cylinders and displacement in EU manufactured cars, as opposed to US manufactured cars.
Appreciate 0