08-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #30
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
On piece of advice: Buy a property that already has a structure on it. If it's lake front, buy one that also has a dock. Environmental and zoning laws can and do change. You could find yourself with a lovely lakefront piece of land and prohibited from building on it because after your purchased it was deemed a "wetland" or a breeding habitat for some endangered critter. Most of the time if you already have a structure you are grandfathered in and can still build, renovate, etc.

I have a buddy that bought land overlooking Puget Sound, just to the east of Seattle. It was their "retirement" property bought 20 years ago. He's now F'd because of land use changes that prevent him from building on it. he cant sell the land because who wants to buy property they cant do anything with.

Similar situation with my step brother who has a house in Kirkland on Lake Washington. Only 1950's house that's been in his family for years. It's surrounded by mega mansions that are prohibited from building docks. He has a dock dating back to the 50's so he's golden. Grandfathered in.
Excellent point. Some of the lake lots we've been looking at don't have the docks, but the permits are deeded. Even more already have utilities ran for the home to build. We've found some good ones in northern Tennessee that I really like. Even more so the price. We'll see!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00