View Single Post
      02-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So my garage door wired button mounted inside the garage is encrypted making it difficult to add a device that can open the garage using an app by simply attaching it to the terminals. I can understand encrypting the wireless transmitter to prevent hackers from gaining access, but what would be the reason for encrypting the wired button inside the locked garage? If I break into your garage and press the button the door will open whether it is encrypted or not lol.
That's actually kinda nice. Most wired openers are a simple switch that connects a circuit and opens the door. The insulation around those wires is sh*t. I learned the hard way when I installed the openers in my garage and one of the staples I used to hold the opener wires to the wall worked its way through the insulation. When it got hot enough in the summer the staple would short the wire out and cause the door to open on its own. Had that happen several times while I was not home. Not cool. An encrypted opener switch is at least sending a coded "message" to the opener to open as opposed to simply pulling a circuit to ground. Would totally prevent the issue I had. But yeah, encrypting that message does seem overkill.
Appreciate 0