10-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So old people don’t deserve to drive? There isn’t public transportation where many, probably most, people live.

Just speaking to demographics, Subaru sells like crack to older folks with their driving aids, making a safer car and experience for them. That demographic has exploded in the last 10-15 yrs. And like everyone else, they are on the phones too, but it’s not just about phones.

I don’t disagree with more accountability and enforcement (requiring cell companies disable phones while in motion, etc.), but if I’m going from point a to b, I’ll use the adaptive cruise control in traffic. It beats monkeying pedals for no reason. Hell, cruise control is an “aid”, so where does it start or stop?
Did I say old people shouldn't drive? No, I didn't, I said people should pay attention to the act of driving when they drive. If a person is old enough that driver aids are needed to help them drive because their physical or mental acuity is lacking, then that is problematic. I've been through that with both of my parents, both now deceased. At some point the elderly need to have their driving license sun stetted.

The "Subaru demographic" also tends to think the Earth is dying and will eventually make humans extinct. Some even think it may happen in their lifetime; perhaps they should pay more attention to the road rather than NPR. Subarus aren't Love; they are metal, plastic, silicone, and other carbon-based materials and run on carbon fuels just like every other car manufactured on the planet. LOL.

BTW, I live in a rural area, where there is no public transportation, but rural folks tend to take care of their elders.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0