10-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #96
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So old people don’t deserve to drive? There isn’t public transportation where many, probably most, people live.

Just speaking to demographics, Subaru sells like crack to older folks with their driving aids, making a safer car and experience for them. That demographic has exploded in the last 10-15 yrs. And like everyone else, they are on the phones too, but it’s not just about phones.

I don’t disagree with more accountability and enforcement (requiring cell companies disable phones while in motion, etc.), but if I’m going from point a to b, I’ll use the adaptive cruise control in traffic. It beats monkeying pedals for no reason. Hell, cruise control is an “aid”, so where does it start or stop?
We're not saying driver aids are inherently bad, we ARE saying the more driver aids available the less people will care about driving. It's just human nature.

Driving was never a right, even though the US treats it like one. You should only be allowed to drive if you are qualified, that's why you need a license. If you're old and your senses are bad enough that you need aids to help you drive safely, then you should be forced to find other means of travel, whether it's ride share or bus. Just because you think you deserve to drive don't give you the right to endanger other people with your incompetency. This applies to all other aged incompetent drivers as well.

If you look at the traffic death statistics, from 10 years ago, in 2019 there was actually more death than 2009, with all of the supposedly life saving driver aids we've had since.
All these new driver aids we have today don't really help much, proven by statistics.

Going from point A to B, even in traffic, as a car enthusiast, I would still want to enjoy the drive, and that's in a manual if I have the choice.
I'd only use cruise control for long drives periodically to rest my foot for short times, then I'm back full manual control. Last example was across a 25hr road trip.
While on cruise control, the only difference is the right foot not on the pedal, every other driving sense is still fully there.

I understand not many people get this. But to me driving the car manually is not a chore, it's a treat. At all times.
You say " monkeying pedals for no reason", I say there's always a reason if you're a driver.

Last edited by OG///M; 10-03-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16953.50
Moflow2484.50