View Single Post
      05-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I just started using a private driving coach and can't say enough good things about this route. Call you local tracks and ask for their recommendations, we have a small group of pros in Texas that will coach at the larger venues.

At a beginners level you may not be interested in more than DEs or DE level private instructors, such as PCA, BMWCCA and other local white/red level drivers.

I've found that at an intermediate to experienced driver level there is no quicker way to progress than to hire a coach for a day or two. Now, the guys I'm referring to are professionals, they typically don't have other jobs, driving isn't a weekend hobby.

The coach I use is a multi-disiplinary racer, manufacturer test driver, racing school instructor, and is now a full time coach for a Ferrari Challenge team. It can be expensive, about $700+ a day and using your own car. During sessions I sit right and left seat and use a datalogger to analyze each run and then go out to experiment and learn. My coach doesn't talk when I drive but rather takes notes, the analysis is in conjuction with the data between sessions.
Appreciate 0