08-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #90
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Lambo's AWD is pretty middle-of-the-pack. No review has ever praised it like the Evo X or GTR systems. Trying to cite different cars as examples of RWD's dominance is not looking at the fundamental question. Two cars, same weight/power with one being RWD, one being AWD and the AWD will win. They're only losing because they're heavier.You can't cheat physics.

You guys are not comparing the concept of AWD vs the concept of RWD. Merely using lap times of different cars with different weights / specs to prove that you're "right." Anybody can do that. If I put a Hayabusa motor into a go-kart with huge sticky tires, will I beat a Lambo?

I'm talking about two cars both 3,000 pounds, 1,500 horsepower. One has the pinnacle of AWD, where torque can be shifted to each individual wheel at will. Would you still bet on the RWD?

That's just one instance. And the early Porsche AWDs aren't even that trick. A heavier car beating the RWD on a TIGHT track. The advantages will be even more amplified on a big track where a properly set up AWD puts full power down 50 feet before a RWD. The fact that the GTR being so heavy and coming so close to other performance cars that are lighter and more powerful tells us so much. Yes, it loses right now. I'll admit that but the weight disadvantage is often overlooked.
Bold one: This is called using real world results.

Bold two: This has been covered before. You CAN'T have two identical cars that weigh the same and produce the same power and one of them be AWD. AWD will always be heavier and drain more HP from the engine.

If you're talking two different cars of the same weight and same power then the conversation is pointless because there are to many variables to conduct a real test. Aerodynamics, suspension, suspension geometry, weight distribution, power train loss, etc...

Facts are facts, despite them proving certain people right. Until someone produces an AWD car that tops the charts.... it is what it is.