04-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #39
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
What is everyone doing for maintenance. I have always heard you need to send them in every so often and get them cleaned up.

I have had mine I think for about 15 years or so, wear it in the rotation quite often and have never sent it in for maintenance. Still works great.

I will share another funny now but sad story. I ended up really buying 2 Submariners. The first one I bought back in the day was when Ebay was fairly new. I wanted one so bad and bought one from Ebay. I "thought" I did all my homework and checking around. I think I paid like $2,500 or something. About 3 months after owning it The white dot at the 12 fell off. I took it into Ben Bridge to get it fixed. The guy there was looking at it for a bit and then he starting asking me where I bought the watch, I told him. He was really nice but said that most likely I got screwed. It took in the watch, had the tech look over it and sure enough I bought a really nice fake watch.

So the best part about the story (or worst) is I was so devastated and couldn't tell my wife that I ended up buying another one from a retail shop brand new. That is my sad ebay and Rolex story.
I bought mine used last year from AD (sight unseen) because I was scared to death buying from non-AD. Heard many stories like this one from various forum etc. I probably paid $500 premium for this, but I know it's the real deal and the $500 was for peace of mind. Sorry to hear that it happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
This will make you even sadder. I bought my one and only Rolex brand new from an AD, in 1985. It is a Submariner /date. In the 28 years I have owned the watch it has been serviced one time. My jeweler, who is an old Rolex factory trained watchmaker advised me to service it only when it starts loosing time. It works perfectly and aside from the luminescence fading to a tan color, it reflects the modest use it has had.

Here's the sad part for you guys now in the market. My watch had a msrp of $1300 and in those days AD's were giving discounts. I paid $1000 for my brand new Sub, box, papers, anchor, etc. etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
What is everyone doing for maintenance. I have always heard you need to send them in every so often and get them cleaned up.

I have had mine I think for about 15 years or so, wear it in the rotation quite often and have never sent it in for maintenance. Still works great.

I will share another funny now but sad story. I ended up really buying 2 Submariners. The first one I bought back in the day was when Ebay was fairly new. I wanted one so bad and bought one from Ebay. I "thought" I did all my homework and checking around. I think I paid like $2,500 or something. About 3 months after owning it The white dot at the 12 fell off. I took it into Ben Bridge to get it fixed. The guy there was looking at it for a bit and then he starting asking me where I bought the watch, I told him. He was really nice but said that most likely I got screwed. It took in the watch, had the tech look over it and sure enough I bought a really nice fake watch.

So the best part about the story (or worst) is I was so devastated and couldn't tell my wife that I ended up buying another one from a retail shop brand new. That is my sad ebay and Rolex story.
I bought mine used last year from AD (sight unseen) because I was scared to death buying from non-AD. Heard many stories like this one from various forum etc. I probably paid $500 premium for this, but I know it's the real deal and the $500 was for peace of mind. Sorry to hear that it happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
This will make you even sadder. I bought my one and only Rolex brand new from an AD, in 1985. It is a Submariner /date. In the 28 years I have owned the watch it has been serviced one time. My jeweler, who is an old Rolex factory trained watchmaker advised me to service it only when it starts loosing time. It works perfectly and aside from the luminescence fading to a tan color, it reflects the modest use it has had.

Here's the sad part for you guys now in the market. My watch had a msrp of $1300 and in those days AD's were giving discounts. I paid $1000 for my brand new Sub, box, papers, anchor, etc. etc.
I currently own a Sub C with Date and Omega SMP. My Rolex Story.

I started looking at Sub's back when I was still in High School when I first discovered cool watches (graduated in 1989). Swatch watch was the bomb back in the 80's for you too young ones. I had a couple of them as it was only $30 each. But, my pride and joy was a Tag Formula 1 watch which I bought for $155 from Sharper Image (bought a 2nd one with a metal bracelet in Hong Kong a year later for only $100). The first one was a blue dial and black bezel and black plastic band. Wasn't as fortunate at the OP and getting a Rolex for graduating HS (lucky bastard!!! . I forgot what sub's msrp was when I graduated college in 1993 (I think it was around $2300 or so). I really wanted one but couldn't afford the price tag as I was just about to start my first job (Kept wearing the Tag until 1998). Summer of 1997, I saw an ad in the local classified and I had a chance to buy a used one from a kid who also received a Rolex Sub for his college graduation from his grandparents. He wanted to sell it for $1700 to help pay for his backpack trip across Europe instead of owning a nice watch. I left work early that day only to discover he had already sold it by the time I arrived at his place. So, no Sub. In 1998, I decided to get the Omega SMP instead as I could get a new one for $1100 which was $700 off msrp (Sub was now almost $3000 and no one would discount it unless I went to HK and they were still around $2200 if not more).

I'm married now and my wife knows I really wanted a Sub C. She was going to get it for me as my 40th birthday gift but I declined the offer as it was too much money. So, when I found a used one from a AD, I bought it but she insisted on me use our joint account funds and not my personal funds, so I guess you can say, she paid for half of it.

Last year I had my Omega serviced and paid $900 for a full service and bracelet replacement. I bought it for $1100 for it back in 1998. When it came back, it looked just like the day I bought it. I'm sad because I didn't take any pictures of it so preserve how great it looked. It's my daily as I'm a golf instructor and don't want to give the wrong impression to new students by wearing my Sub (only my regular students knows I drive a M3).

Below are pics the day I received the watch from the AD.
Attached Images

Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0