View Single Post
      11-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #47
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Wow, kind of shocked at the negativity this brings out. People are sure quick to infer this guy is some kind of scammer, based upon the ignorance of thinking you know how OT works for firefighters (i.e. that he was claiming to work 21hrs per day all year). Perhaps it was partly due to chopping off the "...Battling Raging Wildfires" from the title, so now everybody is all jealous that he made such a killing (without a law degree? without running his father's business? - travesty!). Even the original article is making the 'we need more personnel, this is causing burnout' argument, not some 'look at the grafters bilking the system' angle. You couldn't pay me enough to risk my life doing this, and as far as I'm concerned LEOs and First Responders should all be paid more. OT costs are the only incentive that legislators have to bulk up the staffing, instead of the stupid showy shit they spend money on for good press. OK rant over...
I think the rub is this seems to be some unexplainable situation of the math not adding up all at the tax payers expense.

Let's compare to the free market, if a lawyer, doctor, accountant etc. knowingly over-billed with the intent to defraud they would be going to jail.

I am not arguing whether being a first responder is a noble and important job, I just don't see how the OT math adds up as has been pointed out previously. More importantly it smells of government mismanagement of tax payer funds
Appreciate 0