View Single Post
      01-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #645
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Oh I do relatively frequently. Many of the factories, Noob, JF, ZF are not as you think though. They certainly fall into the more hole in the wall side of things compared to other "factories". The actual factories in China are the ones busting out the DHGate, street market Rolexs. Relatively to the other replica markets, the high-end Rolex replicas you and I see on the websites we visit are in a very small market, most people in the market for a Replica would never spend $400++ for a replica watch.

With the replacement of genuine parts, it is hit or miss. On some you can, some you can't. It depends on who manufactured the replica. Many have made successful FrankenWatches but there are many discrepancies. The replicas are not quite exact in terms of dimensions, even the highest priced ones. The 904L steel they allegedly use is very iffy, it is different then 316L but I would say the manufacturing standards they use in replica factories are not advanced enough to produce actual 904L. Close in feel and finish, but not durability. The ceramic is quite close, but again not similar in the unseen variables. However for what you get when buying, say, a brand new Noob Submariner - you are getting great value in a watch regardless.

I would also disagree with the fact you stated where a Rolex is up-marked from $1,000 to $7,500. I know for a fact that Rolex has a huge ego with their brand and understand the brand value, but I wouldn't say that a watch made with the same tolerances and engineering as a Submariner without the brand would be $1,000 - that is a little ridiculous.

While I do agree in part with the luxury brand price gouging, I also disagree with some other points you made. For example; I know someone who bought a "Chanel" watch recently, it has a freaking $400 ETA movement and they spent $8k on it. That is true luxury tax, and frankly just plain stupid. No one who buys into luxury goods like that gives a shit about horology.
Noob factory has some nice watches as do some of the others. They're all pretty close. I did a bit of a replica and gen comparison before with the same watch. With a loupe, the replica is obvious under inspection but looking at it normally in hand, it's almost impossible to tell unless you know the specific tells of that replica version.

I own a Submariner and I don't think it's worth $7500... even though I paid as much for it. I like the watch and everything is good. But build quality wise, it's about the same as my Tudor Black Bay and that costs less than 1/2 the price.

There's definitely a Rolex tax just because of the name. Other watch brands like "Chanel" like you say... they may be expensive when new, but the price drops like a rock for a used one (unless it has precious stones/gold). Rolex does not.