View Single Post
      04-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #36
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Thanks for all the feedback and input. This is great.

Honestly not too familiar with the N20/51/52 engines but I'll definitely use that to drive my search. Watched a couple of Youtube videos (especially the one from FCP) that highlight some of the common issues with these engines and nothing looks too hard not to be able to tackle it myself. Let's put it this way, anything is better than the N63 to work on, especially cramped in a 5 series.

As for budget, I was looking for something to buy cash - one time discretionary expense that my wife won't raise hell about. Basically, I was looking for <$10K. Something reliable without being worried about commute abuse or paranoid about some cabby in DC bumping into.

I 100% agree the Teslas make the most sense for commuting, but at that price range my wife will basically force me to sell the 550i or pretty much block any hopes of upgrading it in the near future. Three nice cars for only 2 drivers in the house, it won't fly.

Never owned a VW but willing to give MK7s a look if parts are cheaper and they're just as reliable.

As for the i3, never bothered to check how much they are until you guys pointed it out. Definitely adding that to the watch list if something comes up on the lower ends of the $10Ks yet new enough to keep it within the battery warranty period.

I've got until at least September before I need the car, but definitely planning on pulling the tigger before then if the right car at the right price comes up.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0