View Single Post
      05-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #230
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
And "the grid" is constantly being updated. It's not a static thing. Just being able to supply electricity to run air conditioning in the middle of the day, the grid has to be constantly updated and expanded to do so. Charging EVs when it is under-utilized is beneficial and wastes less. Addressing the above comment, the more load on those generators, the better. Gas turbine engines like to run, run them as fast as they can. They are relatively cheap to install and very scale-able to the demand.
So 2 things,

I work on grid expansion/update, it's part of my job. I am concerned at the pacing, not the long term plans to move to EV. The load is coming faster than the system can adapt = brownouts, declined hookups for new services, and lost service. It's not unlike working for the government - slow. Unfortunately, the government has a lot of say in what we can and cannot do. They don't always get it right, which I'm sure most find shocking

Gas turbines love full load. they are to be used to backfill green sources, so as a whole they will almost never be full load - some possibly never. If I told you I could retrofit a turbine into yor car and it would get 60 MPG at 160 MPH - guaranteed, how often would you actually get 60 MPG? This is why using idealized efficiency numbers is useless. Just like Tesla rates things that are theoretically true, yet impossible to achieve. Lets not deceive ourselves, or decision makers with numbers no one will ever see.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh17309.00