View Single Post
      05-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #221
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I'm with you, but that's what I mean by using carbon in the power plant and an electric car. If we can get them to charge at night, we'll use our CARBON more efficiently until we get a full group of adaptions to do better. I'd rather burn a gallon of gasoline in a power plant to deliver electricity to a car that gets 50mpge than burn it in a car that gets 20mpg.

But honestly, WTF went wrong when we stepped away from nuclear? Other than Chernobyl and Fukashima things went pretty well. I think we could have stuck to the program and done well.

Shawn
The amount of resources that go into a nuclear plant often result in much less efficiency, there are places where they make more sense, but the infrastructure, regulation and everything associated is huge. I suspect you may not be aware of all the life limited primary circuit parts that must be changed out due to radioactive corrosion/contamination. It’s a hell of a lot more than just spent fuel, but that’s just one small aspect. Security is another. It basically raises the stakes high all around. In many cases, the cost to benefit ratio is poor. Not every case though.
Appreciate 0