View Single Post
      07-16-2023, 07:15 PM   #39
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I was talking to a senior ER nurse friend the other day, and the topic of balance and aging came up. She mentioned that there is some sort of pressure release procedure in the head (?) that cures it, particularly with elderly patients who transition to shuffle-step walking.

When I was at PT on Friday for balance therapy, I couldn't even walk in a straight line enough to pass a DUI test. I noticed that I was walking shuffle-step during the exercise, and changed over to a high-step march. Significant improvement!

BPPV (vertigo) issues aside, I am thinking that my current remaining balance issues may be a result of extended WFH that began with COVID lockdown and continued until just a few months ago. Living/working in a small house for three years with OCD psycho dog constantly under my feet, my walking gait shifted from normal steps to barefoot flat-footed shuffle-steps. I've been practicing lifting my feet when walking all weekend, and rolling off my heels onto my toes again with every step. Can't wait to see if it makes a difference at PT tomorrow morning.....