View Single Post
      05-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I get those types of notices a few times a year since I froze my credit years back. Once your info is out there it will probably circulate forever. I also change passwords and try to avoid using the same password in multiple places, which is a PITA. I assume every place I have info is porous so I also try not to save info anywhere except Amazon and another place or two. Every time I report an attempt of fraud to a bank, etc. it is either ignored or they tell me to file a police report. I filed a police report once and there is nothing the police can or will do in the absence of an actual loss. So I just put things in a file. I do believe the problem originated with PayPal a long time ago.

I don't think these is a risk free solution except living off the grid. No credit, no bank, no ownership, etc. I can't do that. I'm also not sold on the value of paying the credit agencies or LifeLock for "protection" either. I had credit monitoring for a while but, not surprisingly, there were no new accounts since my credit is locked.
OK, thanks. It's the first such letter we've gotten and we were a little freaked out. Wanted to bounce this off some folks for feedback.

I'm approaching this in exactly the same way you are. I assume everyone at this point can access my name, DOB, address, social. So the only real solution I've found is to freeze our credit.

I feel like the credit monitoring services are just a reactive, feel-good, bit of nonsense. They are pushed hard by the credit bureaus and the credit card companies because they want you to choose that service that is a revenue stream for them and keeps you able to easily open new accounts and take on more credit without pausing to think about it.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410879.00
2000cs3447.00