08-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
My guess is the majority of people are not watch connoisseurs like yourself. Here is a different perspective as to what others might think.

Usually, when a man buys a watch (I'm not sexist, I'm just more in tune with male buying habits rather than women, plus women have to match their jewelry and other accessories so it doesn't "clash", so basically a lot more complicated than a man) that is the only piece of jewelry he wears. With that being said, he probably would want an iconic timepiece that's in his price range. Iconic in the sense that the person next to him will know the watch brand he is wearing and allude to the lifestyle he lives.

Tag, Rolex, Cartier, Omega, etc are the first to come to mind of these iconic brands. People don't buy these watches strictly on movement, function or aesthetics but rather from the worldwide symbolism it carries. It's obvious some of these best sellers have had the same styling for 50+ years and haven't changed much but consumers keep buying them year over year. Although many of these brands became famous for their reliability & durability over time, the majority of us are not diving 300 meters, measuring speed on a tachymeter, or going to the moon anytime soon. Also, these most recognized pieces are in the $2k-$9k range. I'd say this mid price point is the most popular for consumers looking for a "luxury" watch.
People do. Recognizing that is exactly why I wrote that in the mid-range, one needs to know oneself more so than one needs to know much about watches.

Folks don't need to tell me or others that they bought the watch for the "ooh, la la" factor, but when they are considering alternatives, they need to honest with themselves about it. If they are going to ask for advice on what to buy, well, then they need to tell the person they are asking so they can at least get good input.

I'll write unbidden about a lot of things watch-related, but choosing, or how to choose, for status reasons isn't among them. Folks are on their own for that, at least as far as I'm concerned.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0