Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Custom build, though?

When we built our house in Pineville in 2015, it was semi-custom, in an HOA neighborhood (sidewalks, lights, clubhouse/pool, etc), sod, 10ft ceilings on the main floor, solid wood floors on the main floor, detached 2-story/2-car garage, fiber cement siding, crawlspace, etc. Including the lot was about $125/ft.

Custom, one-off builds are more expensive. The builder doesn't have any economy of scale for any subs built into the scenario if it's only one house. If it's a neighborhood of 700 houses, that changes. Right?

The custom builder in NC we talked to before moving back home was at $185/ft or so, not including the land. When we talked to a custom builder up here, he quoted us $175-$180 for a slightly smaller home, same finishes.

Ah. No - the first house was not a custom build - it was a planned community where we picked the floorplan, lot, and finishes/upgrades. It came to $115/ft - including the lot, which was a 1/4 acre.

The current home was a custom design, but only $80/ft not including the land, which I purchased separately. This isn't really comparable, though, since I didn't work through a builder and did many of the sub-projects myself. I also offset some of the costs through the sale of lumber being cleared for the project, as well as ginseng that grows on property. Those two items nearly offset the total cost of the land.