View Single Post
      01-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fix It View Post
Not only is it expensive to purchase, it is very expensive to maintain.
I am an old timer....have had a couple of vettes and one of the reasons vettes became hugely popular was that it became a grassroots car. One that most people with a few tools and mechanical aptitude could do all the services and modifications themselves or with the help of a small shop. You didn't have to be rich to own one and enjoy it. The C8 changed all of that. Now a hybrid vette? Yep fast when new but what about after 7-8 years old? It is sad but I do believe corvette is going in the wrong direction. It is not all about power. Heck, reduce the weight of a c6 Zo6 by 700lbs and man what a car it would be. Naturally aspirated over 500 rwhp easy to obtain and easy to work on! Plus 26 mpg on the highway. Yes and weight reduction can be done.
I understand your point, but I think moving upmarket was the only way to save the car long term. If you look at the way things are moving, there is a ton of wealth at the top and a growing chasm between the top and everyone else. Average people can't or won't buy a dedicated sports car anymore. These mid-priced sports cars are becoming a harder and harder sell. Moving the brand up lets them make the car better and get a better halo effect, and sell at higher margins to people that have a ton of cash.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50