View Single Post
      08-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Good points. I learned a lot about generators this week since most of LI was out. Drove past a place that refills propane tanks and the line was about 10-12 people deep. Walking around my neighborhood, I realized how many people had generators. Most were filling up theirs with gas. They are very loud and obviously can't do the AC. Then, my neighbor has a whole house generator he got after Sandy. Not as loud, all lights, appliances, TV, cable, internet, AC working. I put a deposit down on one yesterday. They are more money, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of filling up propane or gas and not have the ability to have AC or heat. I couldn't sleep worth a shit for 3 nights and that's worth it to me right there. Everything here is above ground power and really old trees. It doesn't take more than 30+ mph winds to pull down trees and power lines. Plus, PSEG are useless. I don't want to have to deal with this again.
Doesn't matter if the power lines are above or below ground. My neighborhood is fairly new with all power lines buried underground. There are some large transmission lines nearby but no trees that would cause any issues and the main lines are high up on steel "poles". There's even a power substation across the street from the entrance to my development. With all of that, we still lost power. Actually, we were the first to lose power during Sandy even though at the time we were the newest development. The older development next to mine was up about an hour or so longer than we were.

You're right about the piece of mind a generator brings that depending on the person is worth the price of admission; except when the power company sends more voltage than it should .
Appreciate 0