View Single Post
      05-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #25
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Too lazy to search for the threads we've had about Chernobyl and Fukushima.

Anyways, I stumbled across this when channel surfing. It's actually really good. I wonder how much of the depictions are actual or fake to add drama. Just finished watching the second installment and the scene where the two Soviet officials were "asking" for volunteers to go under the compromised reactor to open water valves was pretty moving. Can't imagine what could be going through their heads knowing people are already dying from the radiation exposure and being told three people from your group would have to voluntarily go into super hot radiation zone...pretty much signing your death warrant.

If you haven't seen this yet, to me it's definitely worth the watch so far.
Regarding your how much is actual or fake, since it is something that happened I won't hold back too far on spoiling. It would be like holding back to tell you the Titanic sunk.

Since you are far enough of the volunteer scene I will comment on things I know are embellished for drama.

the helicopter crash, it happened during the construction of the containment building to contain the core. the helicopter hit one of the cords from a crane and dropped. there is old school grainy video of this on the web, they didn't fly over the core, though they believe the pilot was fatigued from the radiation and could not see the cord he hit. they would do nonstop runs to get it done.

The other thing is the woman. The one who comes to help them. She isn't a real person, but they said she is a placeholder for a culmination of scientists. having 100 scientists running around with their heads cut off trying to fix an issue isnt good for TV, so I get why they did it.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50