Thread: Flat Earth
View Single Post
      03-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #112
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

There's a new one on Netflix, Behind The Curve. I think it's billed as a documentary, but I'm fairly confident it's a misspelling.
Still worth a watch for the sake of knowledge, walk a mile and such.
It does the flat folks no good at all. It only furthers them looking like a bunch of conspiracy collectors and nut-jobs.

One question I've had for a while now is why does water flow uphill to the ocean's?

And for some reason that just befuddles everyone. I grab a globe and point to how the furthest outward point is the Equator and that each Latitude from there gets smaller.
I can just watch them trying to find something to show me I'm wrong. All I ever get is 'that's not how it works'. They can't tell me how water gets from point to point with no fall. Somehow their mind tells them that Sea Level is some accurate measurement and that decreasing means water goes from high to low. Which works for a 2d plane.

I go to look for some type of accurate topographical globe. One that shows that watershed divides are above the Equator.
I find these (greatly exaggerated): https://www.1worldglobes.com/land250x.html

That to me seems more accurate than anything. Every picture of Earth from space; which you'd think at least 1 would exist that showed some type of height difference in accordance with water divides. Yet all make Earth look like the typical globe.

I think the biggest gripe I have is that Sea Level is not a scientific measurement and is not accurately defined. I think a best measurement would be a distance from Earth center. But the difficulty here is that at what point on the Earth's surface do you define this measurement from? Or should it be derived from multiple places because of plate tectonics and ever shifting distances.

What I 'm getting at here is if we actually had accurate and scientific depictions of the entire Earth we could visually understand and teach far better. This 600 some odd year teaching of a sphere ... oh no it's squished a bit, just doesn't fit for a visual learner. It's well past time for the scientific community to make something, *gasp, accurate.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00