View Single Post
      01-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #660
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I wore fake Rolexes that I bought in Thailand when I was a teenager.

As soon as I could afford one I bought a real Rolex - and when I did, I chose the Explorer I so the only people who would recognize it were other watch people.

I'm convinced that Rolex lets the fake market thrive as advertising for them - so long as the fakes remain unreliable. (Why don't you ever see a fake submariner with a quartz movement, or hands and hour markers that stay connected for more than six months)

I have no problem with fake watches, nor do I have a problem with people saying "Hey man, nice Rolex; is it real?"

I know others don't feel the same.
While the vast majority of fake watches are those sold for cheap on street markets, there are high quality fakes. Most of these are very reliable and run for a long time.

I have one from 6 years ago and it's still running fine. I recently had it serviced because the power reserve was getting low. A bit of cleaning, lube and regulation and it's like new again.

I do agree that the cheap watches that are sold on street markets are often free marketing for Rolex. People get one and when it breaks, they want the real one.