View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 08:06 AM   #47
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Porsche neutering the 4.0 GTS and GT4 has been an open secret for some time now. Their halo car, the 911 must be protected at all costs. That 4.0 mill in the GTS and GT4 is rated at 394 and 414 hp, respectively. With only a DME flash, no hardware, on 93 octane pump gas the power output increases 50-60 hp on the GTS and 30-40 hp on the GT4...to the wheels. That's a significant jump in power for a naturally aspirated powerplant at that displacement with no hardware. And what has been explained to me by a couple of tuners and the creator of the OTS maps, is there is still a little meat left on the bone on that OTS map.
Former 911 owner and current 4.0 GTS owner (with a tune) here. I do not agree with the "neutering" comment above, at least as far as the 4.0 engine is concerned. Yes, in previous generations, Porsche has always held back somewhat when it came to the Boxster and Cayman engine performance. But with this generation, that's no longer true. Yes, there's like a 10hp difference thanks to engine mapping between the GT4 and the 4.0 GTS engine, but the difference in performance between the tuned and untuned engine is not significant. Of course, a tuner will tell you that the difference is significant - they are trying to sell their products! But as an owner who tracks my car, where you have the opportunity to drag race other tuned and untuned cars - I can tell you that the difference between the two isn't significant. Porsche isn't neutering the 4.0 engine in the cars...it's a wonderful engine.

Taking things to the next step, perhaps as the 718 swan song, Porsche took their greatest engine from the 911 GT3 and stuck it directly in the GT4 RS and Boxster Spyder RS. That 4.0 engine is totally different than the one in my car, and it makes another 100hp over my car.

As for the previous comments about the 911 and Cayman/Boxster being virtually the same cars - that's total BS too. There's lots of part sharing within the product lines by every manufacturer, which I've seen first-hand at BMW/Mini, VW/Audi, Mazda, and yes, Porsche. You can take two cars from any manufacturer and they will often have strong similarities. At Porsche, the current 911 has grown into more of a GT car, and is a lot larger than current Boxster/Cayman. While they share similar DNA, they drive differently too - at least on the track where you can really push them.
Appreciate 0