United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

As I work in aircraft maintenance at a Line base, my tools are:

Craftsman
Snap-on
Stahlwille
Knipex Pliers

As for matco, never had good experience with them....they came to promote at Englishtown Raceway park more than a few years ago and a few I know brought a few rachets and some special tools and the rachets broke in 2 of them during normal use and one basically fell apart...one of the special tools had poor welds and looked unsafe construction.

For aircraft maintenance, most of the sockets you're going to use is 12 point deep sockets, in english sizes. Rarely you'd use 10mm, 11mm and 13mm (battery contactors bolts and nuts)

I couldn't find a set of craftsman 12 point sockets that was laser etched with the size for easy reading so I had to buy a small set and the rest piece by piece.

I have sizes from 1/8th all the way to 1 7/8th deep sockets 12 point and then standard sockets from 1/2" all the way to 2" 7/8ths all 12 points.

Some of them are labeled from a label maker as FUEL FILTER, OIL FILTER, or FAV (Fan Air Valve) as they're the ones used on them and it's quick to pull them off the rack.

The only snap on tools I have is: the tigerwave safety wire twister, racheting screwdriver, 2-1/2" crowfoot wrench (fuel lines from wings to engine), forged thin walled deep sockets, and adapters set.

As for torque wrench, that's company tools and they're all Snap-on from screwdriver type all the way to a 4 foot long torque wrench...sent out every year to be calibrated.

The wrenches are all craftsman blue titanium ones with the gearwrench racheting closed end...very useful.

as for Stahlwille, I have the 1" to 3/8" adapter for changing the wheels on the big jets and be able to use the torque wrench without a bunch of adapters.
They have BMW specific tools and kits...I think the BMW factory in Germany uses them.

As for Snap-On, a coworker brought quite alot of them and with a big bill he's still paying off, he started bitching that the snap-on cordless drills sucks big time...and they're POS...I started laughing and said my trusty dewalt drills never gave me problems

As for using snap-on tools, they're good if it's a specific tool, like the crowfoot wrench...who makes a 2-1/2" one? very hard to find other than Snap-On.
Other than that, their special thin walled deep sockets is useful in tight spots like changing the wheel bearing hub on a '00 Deville, I can change it without taking the whole strut apart...saves me alot of time.

Knipex pliers...very good pilers! The Corba ES and the adjustable plier wrench have come very useful, strong grip, tight, just like a socket is on a nut...and no flexing!
Corba ES works well working in the slats in some suitations.

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0