2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Hey guys,

The wife and I are about to start planning a trip to Italy which will take place in May. It will be for our 1yr anniversary and following that we plan to start trying for little minions so we definitely want to make the best of it. Right now we are thinking between 10-14days and 2-3 locations. I don't want to travel too much during the stay because I'd really like to enjoy where we are as much as possible. I hope we will have the opportunity to come back to Europe many times In the future, but also understand the kids may get in the way. This will be our first venture over to Europe, don't get me wrong we have been out of the country many times, but not over there unfortunately.

She has a few places that she has her eye on due to social media, but I on the other hand would like to hear what actual people without influence would recommend.

We have barely started planning, and to be honest it's a little difficult to start planning because reviews are just that. Hence why I'm starting a thread. I'd like to know y'all's most memorable experiences so I can attempt to make the trip a memorable one for her.

I really appreciate the help!
For a 14 day trip, here is what I would recommend:

3 days in Venice are plenty. I prefer to stay a little off the beaten path because of the crowds. Perhaps closer to the north side of Venice proper. You can take a train directly there. Take a water taxi to your hotel because it is too much trouble dragging your luggage from the train station (and no cars in Venice). Take good walking shoes and use Google Maps. There are dozens of churches, some museums, restaurants everywhere and plenty of opportunities to shop. Take a nighttime gondola ride.

4 days in Florence. Any hotel near the Duomo will do. Look for restaurants off the beaten path (notice the theme?). Shop for leather and other chortles, tour churches and museums and catacombs. Go see the Medusa.

6 days in Rome. Imagine a week in DC? You still cannot see it all, and that is Rome, too. Hit up the Spanish steps, just don't sit on them. Throw some coins over your shoulder into the Trevi fountain. There are 400 fountains in Rome as part of their 2,000 year old aqua duct system. The Parthenon is a personal favorite. Go to the Vatican. Hit up the Coliseum. Go to the ruins. Consider spending money on private tours, especially of the Sistine chapel and Coliseum, because the guided tours are the only way to get all of the stories that go with the art and the ruins. Private tours are not cheap but are completely worth it to jump the lines and get personal attention.

You can fly in to Milan to get to Venice. Nothing wrong with spending a day or two in Milan, especially to recover from jet lag. Fly back from Rome.

For several years my wife and I were going there annually. We always rented an Audi wagon (that's what Hertz had) and randomly traveled over most of the country using Waze. But the Italian train system is excellent. Uber is available in Rome, but not in Florence at our last visit.

We spent time in many other locations away from the main tourist areas, but you would have to drive. I would recommend those main cities for your first trip.

One little trick to know -- don't exchange dollars for Euros anywhere. Set up your ATM and credit cards for international use (no additional fees and automated conversions). Once you arrive in Italy, find an ATM and withdraw a few hundred Euros. Note that you cannot tip with a credit card like we're used to here, so you'll want to leave a few Euros for tips. Your dollars will not fly in Italy, so don't bother bringing any more greenbacks than you'll need before you leave USA.

Regarding phones, we paid Verizon $10 per day to use our iPhones in Italy. Was just easier that way. You can buy a SIM card there for an Android if you want a cheaper solution.

Do not assume you can do laundry there like you can at US-based hotels. Plan accordingly.

Practice a little of the language before you go because the Italians are so friendly and accommodating, and they will gladly help you communicate. But most of them speak excellent english.
Appreciate 2
JP102463.00