Thread: Yard freaks
View Single Post
      05-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #371
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

So maybe one of you experts can give me some advice.

I live in the Northern part of South Carolina about 5 minutes away from the NC foothills...specifically Zone 7B on the USDA guide for planting zones.

Grass is basically a cool season tall fescue. Front yard looks great, but all areas of it are exposed to sun and it gets watered.

Back yard is another issue. We have a couple of pretty large Oaks that shade one side of the yard pretty much all the time. On the un-shaded side the grass looks fine. Where the shade is, that is the part I'm having trouble with.

Taking the trees down isn't an option as they provide a nice buffer for all the houses they built behind me and did not leave a barrier of trees between this street like they did on our other streets. Plus the trees provide shade for our 2 Elk Hounds...although they prefer to be in the sun most of the time.

Any suggestions of anything I could get planted and established in that area? I'm not opposed to anything as long as it's green and just gives the ground some cover as we will probably be moving within a year or so anyway because of them developing the street behind us that was once wooded.

Not looking for anything fancy...just something to fill in the areas that are missing so the yard looks a little more normal even if we aren't planning on being here for that much longer.

Thanks!