Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I DIY... but I also know my limits and pain tolerance lol

When the A/C evaporator needed replacement I farmed that out to a BMW dealership tech who takes side work on the weekends. It involved taking out the whole dash and like 8 hours labor, and wasn’t a job I would enjoy. Meanwhile I did spend like 30 hours swapping the roof on my car because that was something I did enjoy the challenge of.

For the most part, I enjoy doing mods myself and would never pay someone to do those, and simple maintenance like gaskets, oil changes, spark plugs, fluids.

For a clutch or a AC Evaporator I’m seeing a shop.
I have to agree about pulling the dash out. I've done the same with my '99 F150, but more because the AC system had to be opened up. I don't work on AC systems simply because the tools necessary to properly effect a repair are not worth buying for a home mechanic. The routine of having a shop evac the system, then you drive home, pull the compressor/drier, then take it back to the shop to refill is too complicated logistics-wise IMO and gives you no warranty for the work.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0