12-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
That assumes that I'm foregoing billable hours to wrench...or mow my lawn, or blow snow, or split firewood, or rake leaves. But I'm not. I bill 40 to 50+ hours a week all year long except when I'm on vacation. That's about as many hours as I can work in a week and still be focused and effective. I do all the other stuff when I'm done with work, so that I can start the next day relaxed and positive and ready to work.
This is the point I like to make as well. When people compare DIY cost to a real shop cost, they don't factor in "their" business costs (G&A/Overhead operating cost). Those are things such as electricity, lighting, heat, taxes, facility space rent, computer systems, training, tools and equipment, just to name a few. Factor those things in, and the DIY savings picture gets worse. But one shouldn't factor in G&A and Overhead costs, just as they shouldn't count the monetary value their labor time when DIY'ing.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0