09-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #2537
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
yeah, the downside to keto is less energy in the gym (because once you burn through your muscle and liver glycogen your liver has to mobilize fat) - though many claim the actual muscle gains are = or > and the overall lifestyle wins, but obviously it's a super individual thing. Plus to really get metabolically settled I think it takes at least 6 months, and to get "medically" settled can take 2 years (i.e., your testing all comes back in range).

Plus when it comes to "weight" we gotta remember that every gram of carb needs X grams of water - this is the "water weight". So people that go on keto immediately pee out all that water as their body burns up those carbs and dumps the water. When I first did keto I lost 10 lbs in 2 days!

If you live near a major city you probably can find a sports clinic that'll do a Dexascan on you for like $150. This is important if you're experimenting with diet because a series will tell you three big things:

* How much muscle do you really have? Are you actually gaining? How much and from what where?
* How much body fat do you have?
* How much visceral fat do you have?

The last one is really important because even ripped dudes can have super low "pinchable" fat, but high visceral fat, the kind around your organs behind your abs that comes from eating too many carbs. This is the deadly fat - it's likely the cause of the skinny-fitness-nut-who-had-a-heart attack stories.

Anyway, on the metabolic set point, yes our bodies like to maintain the weight we're at so if we overeat a little the body turns up the furnace and if we undereat a little the body taps into fat stores. It's why people with a fairly set caloric intake can have that big Thanksgiving meal and not have additional fat a week later.

Resetting a low set point is really tough: you gotta overeat and gain fat to reset. it can be managed but it can be tricky, which is why keto is so much easier for most people, and why the Biggest Loser people always gain back their weight.

To lose body fat, most are usually better off keeping their calories fairly normal and switching to keto.
Interesting, might have to do some reading. The human body is so fascinating. If I didn't go the career route I did, I'd be interested in getting into bioengineering or biomechanical engineering. I think in another post you had mentioned the visceral fat, that is a little concerning. Might have to look into a scan one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Shit brother, I'm old. I only got/getting better with age. A friend of mine is a pharmacist and he mentioned getting put on some testosterone. I may just go see the doc next week.
I think it is definitely worth checking out. I'm still young and want kids, but after I get through that stage of life I'd definitely be looking into it. As long as you have a good doctor, who is well versed in the subject and doses you correctly, the health benefits are great. Now if you get a shady doctor who over doses you, without proper estrogen management, then you can run into some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I've worked out pretty consistently since 2004. The types of work outs I've done have varied but it's always been something. I could push myself & can handle it but don't find that it benefits me. I hope that makes sense.

I don't use heavy weights. Don't laugh but I'm on 8lbs currently (not because I can't do more) but I do high reps just like you said above. I build muscle very easy and don't want that man look. I remember working with a trainer who had me on heavy weight sets and my thighs got so toned & ripped they would barely fit in my jeans. I don't like that look at all.

That temp was early this morning, believe me in South Louisiana we had that heat today. I'm over it

I'm not a diet person either. I believe life style changes have benefitted me the most. For instance, I did a 40 day no added sugar (could do honey, coconut sugar, stevia leaf extract, no caffeine (never really drink it) & no alcohol. I didn't realize how much sugar I was consuming & had this little bloat in the lower ab area. That went away & I've been pretty consistent with no added sugar ever since. I do treat myself if I have a craving or out for dinner.
8lb dumbbells is probably all you need, maybe a little heavier like 20lbs if you ever want to do chest/shoulder press workouts. My fiance had the same concern in regards to the "man look", she is a tad broad in the shoulders (looks great regardless, she just doesn't have a "petite" frame, that's why I'm marrying her - looking for some freak athlete children lol!).

I like the toned thigh look! But comfort can't be overlooked, so completely understand. I remember when I was at my strongest & heaviest,
I noticed my mobility dwindled, and I thought to myself "if I am struggling, even a little bit, to tie my shoes then this can't be healthy" lol.

Takes some will power to go 40days without what you had mentioned. I don't think I could do it.
Appreciate 0