07-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #330
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
?

He beat out Cam Newton in training camp to be the starting QB. He was teaching Cam the routes, plays, etc. He earned the starting QB role over Cam and the other QBs on the team.

Almost beat the bucks with TB. Went down to a FG in the last seconds.

How has he not earned his spot? He did very well considering the other rookie QBs in the league that year: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...y1j4h3jxjuwikk

Just curious why you think he did not earn his spot?

Every coach 'gives' his starting QB a team. The coach tries his best to give the QB the best chance to be successful.

BTW I am obviously a homer.
Well, he didn’t beat Cam out in camp. This is said by Cam AND Julian Edelman, and even McDaniels didn’t claim as such. In fact, they stated they believed that he could rise to the occasion - but he never did based on the sats and eye test.

Mac played with the second team O and defense during camp and could barely move the ball down the field. Mac was the same guy during the season that he was in preseason and camp: low risk, short throws because he didn’t trust his arm to make the tight windows and deep throws.

Despite being gifted a team and offense he didn’t earn, his production was terrible. 22TDs to 13ints. Keep in mind Cam had LESS to work with last season - his top receiver was Jackobi Meyers, and NKeal was literally #2, and his top TE are now currently benchwarming as 4th strings. And had about the same stat line. Literally, no one could have done better in that situation.

Mac managed to get 3 more wins with 250 MILLION in new personnel, and an easier schedule. And he STILL lost 4 of the last 5 games when actually asked to do his job and pass the ball. I believe the Colts watched the Tape and decided to shut down the run game and force Mac to pass, and he blew it. It would have been 5/5 but the Windstorm in the Buff game saved him.

I get it, Mac is a rookie, he has room to grow. But honestly, Mac sat Behind Tua in college, and had one good year with basically an NFL roaster and was thrown right into the pros so he could stoke Bills ego - Bill is still salty that Brady won a SB without him showing that Bill didn’t help him - he was helping Bill. Mac has never shown any ‘flashes’ to say he’s on the same level as Herbert, Burrow, Allen or the like. He’s a game manager, who if he’s luck, may get to Alex Smith levels of stats and wins - basically your need a loaded team just to get to the playoffs.

Mahomes is a good counter point to Smith, as he was able to elevate the players around him. Mac hasn’t and doesn’t do that. In less games - Cam gave Julian Edelman a Career game (despite playing with Brady) He elevated Nkeal to his best season (very hard to do) had no James White security blanket and still scored 66% of the teams TDs.

Bills arrogance is going to tank that team and I hope he takes Mac with him.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 07-27-2022 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0