07-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #82
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
NorCalAthlete NorCal real estate is a distorted cartoon, because of its high price appreciation. compared with the rest of the United States....

....Summary: real estate doesn't return what an equity portfolio can return. Northern California may be one of very few exceptions to this.
Very much so, which is why you’ve got to look at northern ca a bit differently and advice from other areas can only be applied selectively in this market. It also may not even beat an index here either, surprisingly. I checked and our last house was a 90% return but the S&P 500 returned 133% during the same time period.

However putting the money into the index fund wouldn’t have given me any utility that having a house did, tax benefits, etc. and it overlooks the fact that I would have still had to pay someone rent, reducing available income to invest on a continual basis.

Home ownership shouldn’t be primarily driven by a desire for, or expectation of, appreciation, it’s a nice by-product that you may get that you won’t get if renting.
Appreciate 1
chassis6552.50