View Single Post
      07-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #73
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Currently live in Upstate South Carolina, and houses are cheap compared to the big cities. For almost 10 years, I rented an apartment because my job and green card situation was still up in the air, so I wanted to be mobile as possible.

Once that was done, I decided to purchase a house, because my rent was $1100 for a 2 bedroom apt with 2 car garage is not that much different than my current $1400 mortgage. The plan was to grow roots and making this place my home base for decades to come.

Lessons learned so far:
- While there's a gap of only $300 a month, there are other expenses of course that push that gap to a quite a bit more than I expected. Nothing insane, but still worth noting (ie heating and cooling 2050 vs 1100 sq ft)
- Yard work takes a long time, and sucks during South Carolina heat
- Luckily no big repairs yet, but I know it's an older house and that's always in the back of your mind
- Rightly or wrongly, I don't look at the house as an investment. This is a place where I belong, having moved around a lot most of my childhood life. So I didn't plan it to buy it to sell it in 8 years to move to a bigger house. I think it has everything I need to be here for years to come
- It takes me forever to start and finish a project (same with my cars actually). For example, if I start painting a room, it'll take me a few weeks because I only feel like working on it during weekends.
Similar thing for me. Been renting apartments for 5 years, so not quite as long as you. I lived in and around Charlotte, but my last place was $1200 a month for a 1000 sq ft 1bd 1bth apartment with a garage. My house is brand new (so no worries from me on roof and all that, and no grass so I don't have to mow lol), on 0.6 acres, 1 mile from the lake, 1800 sq ft with a 500 sq ft garage (3bd 2 bth), and without PMI I'm looking at $1120 a month. Well water and septic, so no charges on that for me. Power is a bit higher than the small apartment, but nothing crazy. I would LOVE to have a shop, but for now it's fine for the wife and I.

I can let my dog run around in the yard no leash, I have my own grille, I can listen to music or movies as loud as I want, I can work on my cars in the garage without disturbing other people, it's amazing. I've been having a blast painting rooms, hanging up shelves, making it our own place. Absolutely love it. ONLY negative to the house is that we live on a road that is busier than we thought. Not a MAJOR road, but it gets quite busy. It's quiet after dinner time though, and doesn't start getting traffic on it until around 8am, so we can easily live with it.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50