View Single Post
      09-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #4966
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
How are you liking the new album? I haven't downloaded it yet. They just announced some tour date stops here in November. I'm gonna grab some tickets for my buddies and wife.
Originally I didn't like the title track. One of the funniest things I've read so far, as for a review, was "The new album sounds like A Perfect Circle featuring Tool."

At first I was a little disappointed with Maynards vocals; but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I didn't like 10,000 Days when it was released either, but the more I listened to it, the more I noticed the complexities of their work; this album is no different. There is give and take here. With the songs being so long, it's not an album that you can just play in your car if you are like me and only drive 10-15 minutes each time you're behind the wheel. At this rate, you can't finish a song between the time the car starts and you reach your destination. The length of the songs kinda force you into sitting down and really devoting some time to listen to it. It seems that each time I listen to it (in sections as I have a really hectic schedule and have yet to spend and hour and half to listen to it beginning to end) I find new sections, riffs, bass lines or drum rhythms that I really like. Adams solo on 7empest puts him in a new category of guitar greats as far as I'm concerned; it's amazing! Danny's work throughout the entire album....I simply can't find words for. After hearing the way he beats his drum kit, you'd expect to see him on an episode of cops, missing a shirt, while holding a Pabst blue ribbon while his drum kit lingers in the background crying that it doesn't want to press charges as he's being handcuffed. Justins work on this album is not to be scoffed at either. The three of those guys together just seem to lay down some amazing work together. There truly isn't another band like them. They are, hands down, in a league all their own.

I saw someone comment the other day, that Maynard had made a comment that his voice is not what it used to be. This has a lot to do with why he chose to go the route he did on this album focusing more on melodies versus his typical growl. I will say that it marries nicely with the darkness of the album though. Maynards vocal stylings, although different, seem to be the ying to the yang of the dark music playing behind him; almost in a mantra type affect. All in all, the ablum is nothing short of amazing. It's Tool in their most evolved form. Very different, but still bad ass nonetheless. I was a really hard critic of it in the beginning and hated it, but the more I listen to it, the more I notice and the more I like it.

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-03-2019 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 3