View Single Post
      05-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #349
Sreten
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Appreciate your response, Sreten. Please don't misunderstand; I'm really not complaining about anything. If I had the money and time I'd do the equivalent on my car, but I don't. The s85 sure is an awesome engine. But regarding the stress levels, it surely compares with a Honda k20a which had very similar specific power and rev ranges. The k20a has (as far as I'm aware) no issues with longevity unless it's severely mistreated...which is a lot more likely in a civic than an M5, I'd guess.

If I remember rightly, there's an oil blog called 540rat or something. It's a one-page website and very cluttered, but has very interesting data and opinions about oil etc. There's a section about the s65 which you might be interested in reading.
Anytime! It's nice to chat about this.

Frankly, you can't compare a 4-cyl with a V10. 10 cylinder engine with more than double the power is a totally different animal and far more complex to engineering.
But Honda is more reliable than BMW, no argument there.

S65 has another big issue that S85 doesn't have, main bearings. They don't fail as often as rod bearings, but mains wear badly too and there are already more than enough cases of them falling. It's always the #1 maim bearing that fails, supposedly something with lubrication. This is what happened to project Frankfurt and when they go, the block is trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Didn't know E60 M5 had EDC suspension as well. Does the EDC need to be reset after replacing the shocks like on the E92 M3? I didn't see that in your videos.
I love EDC. No, I installed Bilstein B6 Damptronic which retains the EDC functionality. Plug & play and the ride is sublime. Should be the same with E92, but I'll find out soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I think the BMW community, and maybe the car community is FINALLY coming around on the E60 M5. It's not the pariah that everyone makes it out to be. My opinion is that it's the best M5 to date and we will never, ever see BMW put an n/a V10 in a road car again. It's not just the V10 either, the E60 chassis with its hybrid aluminum/steel structure is absolutely awesome and it looks the part too. That car was BMWs moon-shot. I'd love to own one, I had a tough time deciding between that or the B7 I have now. I went with the B7 because I've always wanted to own a real Alpina car, and I've owned a pretty modded E60 530i in the past so I wanted to try something new. Kudos to you for saving the one you have, it's been a great series to watch from start to finish. Looking forward to the M3 videos.
I totally agree! When it came out, the design wasn't received well (I personally always loved it), then the rod bearing issues and clunky SMG sealed its reputation. I'm convinced if they only offered it with a 6-speed manual, it'd go down in history as the greatest M car.
The E60 platform is amazing, stuff that you mentioned many don't know about! Not to mention no rust issues unlike E39.
B7 is a luxurious, silent, torque monster and a very special car that should be experienced as well and I get your decision for wanting to try something else.

Thank you! M3 video coming Thursday/Friday.

Last edited by Sreten; 05-15-2023 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mani5913572.00