Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Yep! Married with a 4 year old. I drove my wife to the hospital in the 1M when she was delivering him drove him home from the hospital in it it's the only car he really knows!

It's our only family car. A small coupe has served us perfectly fine for a family of 3. Don't need or want much more. I think the 1-series backseat and trunk are very usable and great!
You also live in a major city with ample public transportation. I lived in Brooklyn for a bit and did perfectly fine with a 318is. I still work in the city every day.

You have an unfair advantage living in the city, meaning you probably do much less family driving than someone in the burbs. I have a long driveway and have to get to work (to the train) no matter what and don't want to snow blow the driveway at 430am. I just hop in my Jeep and drive out. I'll deal with the snow when I get home that evening. I couldn't do that in any of my previous sporty cars.

My wife actually commented a few weeks ago that she's surprised that I am not rabidly looking for my next car anymore and I think that's a reflection of how satisfied I am with my current vehicle. It just works for me right now as your 1M does for you. When time and space allow, I will get a fourth (fun) car to scratch my wrenching itch.
Pretty sure we would have the same scenario anywhere we lived. Sure we may have another car but can't imagine ever succumbing to the TV commercial idea of USA family car ownership, yknow? The "bigger is better" idea just never resonated with us in terms of cars or housing hence why we live here! Haha

What my post is referring to is more of a philosophical debate into why people feel the need to constantly be in search of new material goods instead of focusing on what they want and need be more satisfied.