01-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
I think i can help you here. I did my front hood in xpel but my full Front and rear bumper is with 3m. xpel is more thick and self healing so it looks new 24/7, downside - orange peel. It can be quite obvious at certain angles under the sun or when im waxing looking at it in detail. 3m - more natural looking but easiler to mark/wear down/stain. I tend to wipe it down and give a bit a spray wax after every drive to prevent any debris from staining. The 2 series front bumper is very sharp looking, there will be edges from the computer cut which will trap dirt and lift. I assume this applies to all cars. Majority of the shops i go to still use 3m because of its price and easier to stretch (easier install.) Xpel is better for straight runs, less bends like hood or rocker panels. Hope this helps.
Thanks! That helps a lot. Local installer said that he uses 3M because of the orange peel issue with xpel. Honestly, I'd rather deal with that than staining. I guess I'll stick with my plan to use xpel. Regardless, it'll be nice to not have to worry about chips so much. Really, I'm hoping that it protects against those freaking love bugs that I have to deal with every summer. Their guts are a pain to deal with. It seems to bond with the paint and cause etching.
Appreciate 0